The health of our children is declining at an alarming rate. Autism now affects 1 in 63 girls and 1 in 38 boys (Hertz-Picciotto and Delwiche 2009). Allergies are reported at a rate of 1 in 4 children, asthma 1 in 11, and ADHD is now present in 1 out of every 3 children. Furthermore, the incidence of adult lifestyle diseases such as GERD, obesity, diabetes, and cancer are also on the rise in the younger populations.
These increases can be attributed to factors such as poor diet (specifically in the form of processed foods, commercial formulas, and Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), the prevalence of toxins in the environment, and improper digestion.
Everything regarding good physical health and wellness start with proper digestion. Here are some ways to ensure that your child optimizes this process:
- Breast feed your baby for as long as possible.
- If your baby was born by C-section, put him on infant probiotics right away. This helps set up proper digestive and immune function.
- Don’t feed solid foods until they get their first teeth. Babies don’t produce enzymes to digest food until they get the teeth associated with that food.
- Start your child on fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut, kim chi, kombucha, miso, homemade kefir as soon as they are ready for solid foods.
- Give your child regular doses of probiotics.
- Give your child enzymes with meals.
There are some great, chewable enzymes available for children. Just contact me with questions or for recommendations.